Saturday 16 August 2008

Three weeks old!

Little Lady is in the midst of a growing spurt. She was weighed yesterday by the Health Visitor, and came in at a whopping seven pounds and five ounces!

I'm still pumping. Whilst she doesn't reject my breast immediately, the best we've managed to date is one minute of breastfeeding in one go followed by some grizzling. It is an improvement on her spitting my nipple out immediately and screaming the house down, so I still have some hope that I can persuade her to take some meals from the tap. I don't mind if she takes some bottles, but I'd love to experience some breastfeeding.

The pumping is hard work. Right now, I'm pumping every two hours whilst awake and whenever she wakes in the night (thankfully she usually only wakes the once), and I've managed to get two feeds ahead of her since I got my new electric double pump.

I had been using a manual pump, which was working reasonably well but was hard work and time consuming. Now I can get more milk in half the time, so it was a worthwhile investment for me. I'm hoping I will be in a position to start creating a freezer stash of milk in the near future, but that will take some time given the amount she is eating right now.

She can hold her head up briefly already and rolls to her side with relative ease. She is a very content baby, and just loves to watch the world go by - more so from someone's arms, but she is quite happy in her cot as well.

The dogs love her. Both have to have a sniff and a lick of her in the morning when we come down, and Lila in particular watches over her. She sits next to her cot most of the day, and when Little Lady has a rare cry, Lila runs around crying herself until I've soothed the baby.

The Baron and I are really loving having her. Parenthood is everything we'd hoped it would be and we've never been happier.

1 comment:

Pez said...

I am glad that the electric pump is working for you, Sarah. Yeah for Emily's weight gain too!