Sunday 10 August 2008

Samson


The birth of my daughter will forever be linked for my family with the early, and unexpected death of Samson.

Samson was my parent's rottweiler, and the uncle of my own Darth Lila. He was the most laid back dog in the world, although he was possibly also the most stubborn. Although he lived with my parent's, he was my dog just as much as theirs. I adored him. We all did.

He had been a little off colour that week. Zach and Lila were staying over, since we knew Little Lady would be arriving any time that week, and he didn't want to play with them. He preferred to sit away from them and watch.

On the Friday, he visited the vet. He had a small spot of blood in his eye and he was still out of sorts. The vet thought it was probably nothing to worry about and advised that he be kept quiet and not tear around with the other dogs.

We will never know exactly what happened that night. Sam appeared to have collapsed just as he got to his sleeping spot at the bottom of the stairs, and he died where he fell. My father came down to find his, and our, beloved pet dead where he usually greeted him.

The vet was contacted to collect his body. I was unable to leave the hospital to say goodbye to our first rottweiler, our pet of six and a half years, which is something I still can't come to terms with.

I got a phonecall from my sister shortly after I woke up, still radiant with the joy of finally having my long awaited daughter in my arms. I went from joy to despair with just two words. Samson died.

My parents house is so empty without its big stubborn occupant, and his "brother", Harry moons around with no-one to play with.

There is no need to split the toast crusts in half, or to split an apple core for them to share. There is no big black blob with a lolloping tongue and cocked ear stopping you getting in the house because he wants a fuss.

I'll always miss him, and I will always remember him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huge hugs to you and your family Sarah. I live in fear of this time coming to my family and it is so sad that it linked to such a lovely occasion as Emilys birth.

Kimmer said...

Sarah, I'm so sorry.

Pez said...

I'm sorry for the loss of Samson, Sarah.

http://furcovered.blogspot.com/2008/08/samson.html said...

I hope by now, you found another Samson in your life. It's painful to lose a dog who we have treated as part of our family. I had one and lost her too,